I recently travelled to Alaska and during my visit I learned some random interesting facts that will impress you, your friends or help you win the next trivia game.
- There is more coastline in Alaska than the entire lower 48 contiguous states.
- In Barrow the only US high school football team north of the Arctic Circle has added a regulation for a mandatory timeout when a polar bear appears on or near the field.
- “Eskimo” is an offensive term for Alaskan Native people as it was associated with individuals who eat raw meat. In 2016 Congress removed it from reference terms when referring to minorities.
- Flight is an every day mode of transportation with 1 in 10 residents currently holds a pilot license!
- Enjoy summer solstice with a Midnight sun baseball game. It has been a tradition for over 100 years to take advantage of daylight that shines on through the night.
- WW2 battles were fought on Alaskan soil and Japanese occupied land for nearly 1 year.
- Alaska is massive with over 663,000 miles which can fit the equialivent of Texas, California and Montana combined. While Texas logo maybe “Don’t mess with Texas”; Alaska responds with “Isn’t Texas cute?”.
- Anchorage boasts the largest and busiest seaplane airport in the world.
Seek your adventure!